Santa Monica Pier

I've been doing a lot of panoramic photography lately.
I guess being a filmmaker I find the widescreen format pretty attractive. I've been experimenting with photostiching... however this shot was taken with a true panoramic camera that has a rotating lens and takes the image over multiple exposures on 35mm film. It's the only way to capture all the action of the rollercoaster and the Scrambler at full speed. If I had tried to take this with multiple exposures it would have been a lot more abstract... but I don't know what that would be saying. One of the things I like about this image is that there is a ton of interesting detail for you eye to explore... that combined with the ocean fog and ambient occlusion of no harsh shadows really punches it up.






About this entry